Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ARTICLE: 'I Pity the Fool': Mr. T on Jury Duty

Makes me wish I lived in Chicago:

Called for jury duty at Cook County Criminal Court, Mr. T didn't disappoint Monday.

The "Rocky III" and "A-Team" star told stories during down time, autographed books and posed for pictures with other potential jurors, county employees -- and the family of the defendant in the case he could have ended up hearing.

"I enjoy doing my civic duty along with my friends I've met," said the Chicago-born actor, 56, motioning to the 20-plus potential jurors who'd been in the room with him for about five hours. "I enjoyed the people that were around me.

"It's not about 'The A-Team;' it's the J-Team -- the jury team."

Ultimately Judge Charles P. Burns dismissed Mr. T and others at 4:32 p.m. when a jury was seated in the drug case.

...

"You've got to testify! Tell somebody about it. God is good!" he told an admirer as he tried to leave the building. "I pity the fool that don't get it."

The first at the county building to recognize him as a celebrity was the daughter of the defendant in the case.

...

She said she didn't know why Mr.T didn't land on the jury.

"My mom would have picked him," she said.

...

There was no bad attitude on the part of the actor regarding jury duty.

"If you're innocent, I'm your best man," he said. "But if you're guilty, I pity that fool."

If the defendant’s family had not recognized Mr. T from the outset, we would have added the following section to our standard juror questionnaire to suss him out:

1. How do you feel about fools? (circle one)
a. I think they're great
b. I have no opinion either way
c. I pity them

2. What is the best way to enter a room? (circle one)
a. Through a door
b. Through a window
c. Through a concrete wall, in a van, covered in gold chains

3. If someone said, "You don't look so bad to me" what would you most likely say in return? (circle one)
a. "You are correct, sir."
b. "I assure you, I have the potential to be quite bad."
c. "What did you say to me paper champion?"

4. If Rocky Balboa was to fight Clubber Lang, what would be your prediction for the fight? (circle one)
a. Wait, who is fighting who?
b. A draw
c. PAAAAAAAIN



CLICK HERE FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE...

1 comment:

Lonne Mann said...

At court and at sea, only God can help us, as the German say...